November 13, 2017

From Neuroscience to Yoga and Meditation

An interview with Stephanie Bianchi, MSc in Neuroscience; Yoga, Meditation and Mindfulness Instructor

You hold a Bachelor in Molecular Biology and a Master in Neuroscience. Would you tell us more about your background?

As a little child, I always knew what I wanted to study. I was fascinated by the perfection of nature and felt driven to study more about how it originates all, hence my degrees in molecular biology and genetics. Later on in my career, I had the opportunity to collaborate on a research project on Fragile X Syndrome with the MIND Institute in Sacramento and the National Fragile X Syndrome Foundation in Guatemala. As I was completing the research project, I knew I wanted to expand my knowledge and understanding on the brain and molecular neurobiology.
In 2012, I received a scholarship from the Neurasmus program to study neuroscience and made my way back to Europe. Now that I look back, that time of my life has probably been the most transformative and life-changing period so far. I loved every second of it, even when I was at my lowest. I love neuroscience and the program made me fall deeper in love with that curiosity of wanting to know and experience “the mind” at its fullest. In 2014, I graduated from the University of Bordeaux and University of Coimbra as a MSc in Neuroscience.


Left: Carlos Salguero / Right: World Peace Initiative Foundation


How did yoga and meditation come into your life?
While I was in the middle of my master’s degree I suffered a major breakdown. I was suffering from depression, severe anxiety episodes, paranoid events, adrenal fatigue, dysregulations on the whole endocrine system and on the way to a hypothyroidism, just to name a few. In a matter of months, my health and mostly my mental health had deteriorated as never before. As ironic or serendipitous as life is, while I was being diagnosed with these disorders, I was also studying them at university. I went to several physicians and none of them offered me a holistic solution that would get to the root of the problem. From the little understanding of myself that I had back then, I deeply knew the problem was in my mind.
As a result and with the guidance of a wonderful team of experts in California, I started to dive deep into yoga, meditation and mindfulness practices, hand in hand with making some necessary lifestyle changes. In a matter of weeks, I could notice the benefits of strengthening the mind-body connection and my conditions started to subside. I felt deeply relieved and somewhat astonished by the awareness I was gaining from simply sitting with myself and observing my thoughts. I was truly amazed by the incredible potential of these practices that invite you to experience life from within and I wondered how come there was so little scientific research on the topic. From that point on, I have been deeply involved in the study of yoga, meditation and mindfulness, traveling to different countries and learning from different teachers and schools of thought. 

What motivated you to change careers so radically?
When my health started to improve, I felt more alive, utterly happy, deeply empowered and enjoyed a vitality never experienced before. I was able to perform better in less time, all my relationships improved, I felt an overflowing sense of peace and stillness and I had just discovered a highly improved quality of life. I always sensed there was more to life, and I guess I finally felt like this was a life worth living. 

"I had found “wellness gold” – it had to be shared"

Don’t get me wrong, I lived a wonderful life. I had lived in 5 different countries in 8 years, spoke 5 languages, had a supportive loving family and a global network of friends and I was on the way of what promised to be a successful career  yet I felt as empty as ever. I used to live with the constant chatter on my mind, chasing worldly pleasures and instant gratification, such as titles, success stories, material things, social status, the next big party and any other cue of social success  and while it was all great, I just could not care less about any of it anymore.
At that time, I thought I had just gone through a small crisis and my life would finally resume to finish my last year of university. Little did I know that it had only been the beginning of the transformation. The next year of my life I underwent a major transformation, on a physical, emotional and mostly on a mental level. It had been as if the very basis of my whole existence had been deeply questioned, restructured and I was now rediscovering the nature of the self, now with a deeper understanding of the mind.
I love neuroscience and I highly enjoyed all the years in the field, I just did not feel the same drive to pursue a career in research now that I had found what it felt to me like “wellness gold”. I personally had undergone a major crisis, where using mostly mind-body practices I had been able to restructure and rewire my brain into a more healthy, fulfilling, joyful and plentiful life. This had to be shared. It was as if the purpose of my life had been challenged and redefined to what I do now. I could no longer devote myself to my lab work and spend years on a research project. I felt driven to go out there and go deeper into the experience of the mind and share with the world the very known but untapped benefits of these millennial practices.

"The purpose of my life had been redefined"

Soon after my graduation, I took a long journey to the Indian Himalayas and Thailand, where I studied different meditation traditions, attended teachings of the Dalai Lama and studied yoga at Ashrams in different parts of India. Nowadays, I continue to enrich my practice under the study of different teachers. The experience of my disciplined and deep meditation and yoga practices never ceases to amaze me. I feel deeply inspired and motivated to continue to share the long list of benefits of these millennial practices all around the world.

Did you experience any fear or doubt when you left science?
Yes and no. Yes, the fear was always present. The mind chatter was constant: "what if you fail?", "you are committing career suicide", "you will regret it, you will never be able to come back to science again", etc. But I had now gained a deeper understanding of the self and the way the mind works. I stood strong by a deep resilient conviction that this was the path I was supposed to take and so I did. With time, this resilient and empowered knowing has only become stronger, finding myself revered and constantly revitalized, energized and empowered by what I do every day. I sleep less, enjoy a wealth of well-being, wake up every day looking forward to what I call my job and I feel so grateful to have found a new and more suitable lifestyle and career for me. 

Are you still involved in science in any way?
Two years ago I co-founded a foundation called Mindful Guatemala, in which we teach children, teenagers and adults how to use practical Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) techniques to assist behavioral, emotional and physical issues and to generally improve their quality of life.
We are now on the way to becoming a for-purpose organization, raising awareness of the potential therapeutic benefits of these standardized techniques, implementing them in national and regional companies, organizations, schools and foundations as a way to empower individuals to prevent stress-related conditions and to help them navigate through difficult situations. In the near future, we aim to support the 8-week MBSR interventions with scientific evidence.
In addition, I have been collaborating with an institution that provides higher education for teens and adults with neurodevelopmental disorders, where I have been teaching mindfulness, yoga and meditation techniques for the last 3 years, and observing amazing results in participants with Autism, Down Syndrome, Fragile X Syndrome, Angelman Syndrome, among others. We are now collaborating with a group of psychologists and physical therapists developing a curriculum on how to teach the different populations different techniques according to their needs and our experience in these past years.
My deepest wish is to be of assistance to bringing forth this convergence we have been seeing in the last years between Western scientific research methods and Eastern millennial practices. Why only settle for one world when we can combine the best of both?  

by Stephanie Bianchi
MSc in Neuroscience / Mindful Guatemala
This article originally appeared September 2017 in CNS Volume 10, Issue 3, Spirituality in Science

No comments:

Post a Comment